In keeping with Sheridan¹s Mission Statement that ³Sheridan delivers a premier, purposeful educational experience in an environment renowned for creativity and innovation² the Contemporary Temporary Art Installation has its overall objectives:
1. To bring innovative and original artwork by high profile artists into the Sheridan community.
2. To enrich the experience of students, faculty and staff at the Sheridan Trafalgar campus with stimulating and challenging artwork.
3. To animate and elevate the quality of our public spaces with engaging artwork.
4. To integrate this artwork into curriculum through an artist¹s talk, workshops and projects related to the installed artwork.
5. To link the Sheridan Community to the broader cultural and artistic milieu.
Submission Proposal Requirements
Consideration should be given to the safety of the Sheridan Community so that the proposed artwork has no sharp edges, can¹t be climbed on, has no fragile parts, is made of fire resistant materials, etc.
The proposal should be submitted as a PDF document to:
Faculty of Animation Arts and Design
1430 Trafalgar Road
Oakville, Ontario L6H 2L1
Phone: 905 845 9430 Ext. 2115
Artwork should be a response to one of the following sites at the Sheridan Trafalgar campus:
(See pictures at bottom)
a. Theatre Lobby & Hallway / D wing
b. Main Entrance D wing
c. Outside Bookstore
d. Along B wing corridor
e. Stream and banks
Please include the following with your submission:
1. A description of the proposed artwork/installation as a response to selected site.
2. A sketch of the proposed artwork or an image of the work if it already exists.
3. Dimensions of the proposed work.
4. Technical details about the artwork¹s construction and how the artwork would be installed and secured in the chosen location.
5. The value of the work for insurance purposes.
6. An explanation outlining how this installation would enhance students¹ and faculty¹s
experience at Sheridan.
7. How the artwork could be integrated into curriculum at Sheridan.
8. Contact information for getting in touch with the artist involved.
1. A seven-member Selection Committee made up of representatives from Sheridan and from the larger arts community will assess initial proposals.
2. This Selection Committee will select three proposals from all those submitted to consider for possible implementation. Each of the three finalists will be invited to the Trafalgar Campus in Oakville to tour the proposed site with representatives from Facilities Management, Health & Safety department and members of the Selection Committee. Based on the recommendations of these three groups a single work will be selected from the three proposals. A representative from the Selection Committee will contact the successful candidate.
1. Friday, May 2, 2014 12 noon: Deadline for submission of proposal
2. Friday, May 16, 2014: Selection of three finalists
3. May 19 May 30, 2014: Site visits for three finalists
4. June 10, 2014. Finalist selected by jury
5. Installation date: August 15-31, 2014.
6. De-installation date: Late April or early May (to be negotiated).
1. Each of the three finalists being considered will receive $500 for their proposal and site visit expenses.
2. The successful candidate will receive $7,000 paid in three installments:
a. Upon notification of being chosen the successful candidate 25%
b. After delivery and installation of the artwork at Sheridan¹s Trafalgar Campus in Oakville 50%
c. Within 30 days of the work¹s de-installation date 25%
3. Shipping allowance of up to $1,000 for final installation. (Original receipts required.)
4. Insurance during transit to/from Sheridan College is the responsibility of the artist.
Publicity, Documentation and Curriculum Integration
1. The artwork will be publicized both within and outside the Sheridan community through various media platforms and outlets.
2. Sheridan faculty will document the artwork, so that image files can be provided to the artist, media and the institution.
3. There is an expectation of an artist¹s talk and integration of the artwork into curriculum at Sheridan.